Oneness-Heart Tears and Smiles
The Oneness - Heart Tears and Smiles programme was established in 1990 to provide humanitarian aid to many countries around the world. In 1990, Mikhail Gorbachev made one of the first requests to Sri Chinmoy, asking for aid to help develop the Research Institute of Pediatric Hematology in Moscow. The hospital specialises in helping Russian children suffering from leukaemia.
Since 1991 the programme has expanded to send humanitarian aid to a variety of countries in the 5 main continents of Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas. Quite often the aid is sent following requests to meet with specific problems.
On a global scale the programme is small - however, the programme is a practical opportunity to build bridges between communities and different nations. Sri Chinmoy, the founder of Oneness-Heart Tears and Smiles, says of the programme:
"Our humanitarian service is not our self-motivated, condescending act of charity to the poor and needy. It is a gigantic opportunity to feed, nourish and strengthen our own poor brothers and sisters so that they can, side by side, march along with us to proclaim the world-oneness-victory of God the Creation."
Kids to Kids
One of the most popular initiatives is the "Kids to Kids" program. This is a program where school children collect personal and educational supplies for their counterparts in economically disadvantaged countries. This involves sending practical aid such as school supplies but also toys, artwork and other creative endeavours of children. This helps reinforce the idea that humanitarian service is more than just the giving of material aid but also creating a sense of oneness and friendship between different people
See also: Drawings of Love
The Oneness Heart Tears and Smiles organisation is run entirely by volunteers with representatives from around the world.
Some projects of the past 30 years
Some of the programmes the Oneness-Heart Tears and Smiles have accomplished in the past three decades.
- Kids to Kids – a unique and highly successful school programme in which children in one country supply basic kits, toys, and drawings of love and oneness, to children in other countries. View kidstokids.global
- Happiness programs – resources and materials for happiness. This was inspired by the UN International Day of Happiness, which takes place on January 19 every year.
- Dolls for Africa – a simple and beautiful program, mobilising people around the world to make beautiful handmade dolls that African children can relate to. DollsforAfrica.org
- Development and Economic Recovery – the provision of agricultural supplies; the development of sustainable small businesses; information sharing to promote self-help.
- Disaster Relief – the supply of emergency and disaster relief materials.
- Education – the supply of materials to schools, including computers, furniture, stationery and books.
- Healthcare – the supply of medical equipment, consumables and pharmaceuticals as well as the training of health professionals. This includes a program dealing with HIV/AIDS.
- Oneness Heart Tears and Smiles - Official Website of Oneness-Heart Tears and Smiles humanitarian organisation.
- What we have done - at Oneness-Heart Tears and Smiles
- Oneness - Heart at Sri Chinmoy.org