Sri Chinmoy's passing
Sri Chinmoy left this earth on 11 October 2007, entering into mahasamadhi at 7'o clock in the morning. In spiritual terms, mahasamadhi is the moment where a spiritual Master leaves his physical body. Below are some resources put together in the weeks following his passing:
Internationally renowned peace leader and spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy passed away on the morning of October 11th at his home in Queens, New York.
Respected and loved worldwide, Sri Chinmoy's philosophy for world peace was manifested through a wide array of activities, ranging from literature to art to sports to music. The universal nature of his philosophy embraced and encouraged people of all backgrounds, faiths and nationalities to work together for peace.
"The power that dominates cannot solve world problems. The power that loves can solve world problems." - Sri Chinmoy.
Hailed as a modern day renaissance man, Sri Chinmoy has sought to combine the spirituality of the East with the dynamism of the West. To this end, he has made prolific and eye-opening contributions in the fields of literature, poetry, art, music and athletics.
- A List of Tributes including President Mikhail Gorbachev, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Olympic gold medallist Carl Lewis and others.
- A moving speech from Gary Ackerman, Congressman of the district where Sri Chinmoy lived, paying tribute to his dear friend Sri Chinmoy. Read the text or view the video
- View tributes from other spiritual organisations, sporting figures and the general public received via our tribute form.
- We have now set up a special
- tributes section on this website, where students and friends of Sri Chinmoy have shared their personal feelings and memories.
To leave your own tributes to Sri Chinmoy:
Articles about Sri Chinmoy's passing on other sites:
- New York Times 1: Sri Chinmoy, Athletic Spiritual Leader, Dies at 76
- New York Times 2: Their Leader Gone, Devotees Gather at Spiritual Home
- Tribute at Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team website
- S. Neil Vineberg on: Vineberg Communication
- Sri Chinmoy: 1931-2007 by Sumangali Morhall.
- Gratitude to Sri Chinmoy by Noivedya Juddery.
- Sri Chinmoy's mahasamadhi Aged 76 by Tejvan Pettinger.
- A Tribute to Sri Chinmoy by Animesh Harrington
- Writespirit.net: Sri Chinmoy passes away in New York, aged 76
- SriChinmoyArt.com: Sri Chinmoy 1931-2007: the man who painted Eternity